18 September 2008

Boredom & raison d'etre

A text message from an acquaintance reads: I agree with you - truly intelligent persons don’t get bored - since they’re concerned with raison d'etre.

Her sensibleness gladdens me but after a sec, a qualm arises. I’m unsure if her raison d'etre or “reason for being” means the same with or comes close to my understanding of it.

If you like to lessen or get rid of boredom, to expand/deepen experience, or just to know the reason for an emotion or thought, it might help to ask your self why you're having this feeling or notion at this moment. (You’ll be surprise where this leads you.) So that when you say, “I’m so bored” or “that movie is boring,“ be aware to follow that with a question like, why am I feeling bored or why did I think that that object is boring.

I believe that boredom, always through emotive expression, emerges from our view of the world with emphasis on “what is” or “what should be”. When relations or others come up against our own view, one of our reactions is boredom.

Boredom is a reaction to a stimulus, and may very well project our expectations (with oneself and from others - onto living beings, beliefs or definitions, ideas, activities, happenings, objects, environs, etcetera). Expectations can be a baggage full of our sense of self. And where we are is crucial to who we are. So that to question one's boredom (which, if practice constantly, might just end it) is vital to one's happiness.

Oh, I didn’t ask my sensible acquaintance to clarify her raison d’etre.

No comments: